Do you know why founders of agile named it like that? It is because they viewed its ‘adaptiveness and response to change’ as an essential part of the methodology. The agile methodology includes an integrated process to efficiently develop a project or software product.
In this article at LiquidPlanner, Andy Makar suggests some practical ways of implementing agile in an organization meanwhile learning change management too.
Execution is Not Easy
The author says that the newly trained certified scrum masters are always keen on implementing scrum-based techniques in their projects. But its execution is not as easy as you thought during the two days training and online test.
Therefore, hold a discussion with the team to understand their views about the application of agile in the real projects.
Adopting Agile is an Exercise
Coming back to the discussion of why implementing agile is considered as an exercise to change management? The answer is that the existing teams in the organization have good practices and agile may impact the team’s contribution, role, and control over the project. It will affect business partners, IT organization and third-party vendor (if any).
So, what are the essential steps that the project managers can take to execute agile? Here are eight effective ways to do it:
- Make a presentation to share the idea of implementing agile with the senior management as well as leaders. Create interest in trying something new and highlight how it will benefit the current work environment to gain their confidence.
- Buy-in time to try scrum and sprint ceremonies to practically show its impact on the team and work.
- Aim for facilitating business requirement data into backlog user stories. Organize the essential stories into the first sprint and show how the stories can be delivered in small sizes frequently.
- Since the story point assessment leads to confusion among team’s agile learning, leave it initially.
- Use stand-ups, demonstrations, and retrospectives for spring execution. Make sure each team member is capable enough to execute their to-do list of tasks and discuss with the team how they could have improved their moves before time.
- Take the team’s feedback or opinion over repeating the process again for future endeavors.
- If possible, hire a consulting team to deliver agile expertise for the project.
- Once you build an agile team successfully, split them into two to train new team members who are open to agile practices.
The author stresses that agile sessions help you to learn the theoretical aspects of agile easily. However, practical implementation of any technique in the real world is the true learning. Even though its challenging and might threaten the team initially, but right approach and attitude can counter any challenge. Read the original article on the following link: https://resources.liquidplanner.com/leadership/adopting-agile-is-an-exercise-in-change-management